In the last few months various little parts of our custom built CMS were made available as composer installable packages.
Though creating a package takes some time, there are many benefits:
- my colleagues and my future self can benefit from the same documentation that is written for the consumers of the package
- as the quality of the code will reflect on my firm there is an extra incentive to write good code that adheres to standards
- the feedback I get via mail / the issue tracker is a great source of learning
- new versions of a package can easily be distributed to the sites of our clients
- giving back to an the PHP/Laravel community just feels good (certainly when considering how many awesome third party packages get used in all our projects)